Thursday, May 27, 2004

Golf goals!

I recently joined a golf club. Well, really the men's club at the Oceanside Municipal Golf course, mainly because I decided to take golf seriously again while I was still able. It was the cheapest men's group around--only $50. Most of the members are retired and play the short tees which are only about 6000 yds--I play the blues which are 6450 yds--so I don't think I will play in their tournements--but it will allow me to establish a handicap. In my 62nd year I figured I did not have that many years left of athleticism--so I figured if I was ever going to have a single digit handicap--I had better work on it in the next year or so--or my body was not probably going to allow it in the future!! So my goal in the next year is to work at my game and get my handicap down to a single digit--not 9.5 or 9.2--but 9 or less. So during the last 8-9 weeks I have dutifully turned in my scores, have spent more time at the driving range, had a certain amount of determination, and have put on a game face when I have actually played a round of golf. Some days I have done well, others not so well, but I think I am making progress.

I have now turned in about 8 scores. I think it takes 10 scores before a handicap actually gets calculated, but the computer says that I am trending with a 13.5 as of my last round today. Believe it or not, that is an improving trend from the 14.5 of a couple of weeks ago. So, I am going in the right direction!!

Today I shot a 39 on the front and had high hopes for a great score--obviously another 39 on the back will be a total of 78 for the round--I think I only broke 80 once many years ago--but the back nine is a bit tougher--and as usual I hit a few bad shots on the back nine which ballooned my score on to a 46--damn trees and water hazards!! But 85 was not a real bad score--and with some further improvement I think I will make my goal this year.

Then when I am 80 years old and out on the course with all the young whippersnappers hitting it 100 yds past me, I can say "well, ya know, I used to be a single digit handicap!" That's the goal--!!! (or perhaps the more important goal is to be 80 and still hitting a golf ball any distance at all!!)

Why have a Handicap? It defines you as a golfer. And, you can go anywhere in the world to play in a tournement that is "sanctioned" by any club or golf assn--Well, I havn't yet, but you never know!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

online mortgage