Wednesday, July 28, 2004

To Many Golf Goofs!

I have been playing golf early each Wednesday Morning in the weekly men's club tournement at San Loius Rey Downs Golf Club in Bonsall.  Don't try to find Bonsall on the map--It is mainly a corner store and gas station although in the last few years some developers have started building tracts up in that area--It is east of Oceanside and still has a rural flavor and feel to it, but I wonder for how long.

The golf club was originally built by a wealthy horse breeder who owned a big patch of land which included his  horse ranch.  He decided to develop some of it with some homes oriented to retirement, as well as building a golf and tennis resort.  I would guess it has been there for a good 30-40 years now, and still has a tennis club as well as an inn where one can stay and enjoy the area.  The Clubhouse, Resturant, and the golf course is very nice for the $$ it cost to play there, and if one is a member of the men's club (only $100 a year)  there are discounted green fees.  So there are about 500 members in the club.  On Wednesdays about 100 usually play in the morning.  There is another big group that plays regularly on Sat morns.

My goal this year was to get my handicap into the single digits.  I'm slowly making progress.  I have improved from an 18 to a 16 and am still trending down.  This morning I thought I was going to really get it together.  I was only 1 over standing on the 9th tee.  That was very , very good!  As I left the 9th green, however I was 3 over!!  I guess I lost my "grip"!  But a 39 on the front still was very good.  If I could do anything close to that on the back nine, I could be a possible winner of the tourney--say I shoot an 82--with my 16 handicap that would be a net 66.  Even Tiger would be proud of that score! 

Parred #10, bogeyed #11, doubled bogeyed #12, tripled bogeyed #13, etc. and added up a 47 on the back nine for a total of 86.  Better than some scores I have recently posted, but an opportunity missed!!  With my net 70 I may still be in the money somewhere, but there is a precipitous drop in the payout from first place to an also ran down the page of the leaderboard somewhere. Maybe instead of $80 only $5?   Oh, what could have been!!!


No comments: