Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Not just another 4th of July at the Del Mar Fair

During the last 5-6 years, my wife Nancy has worked at the Del Mar San Diego County Fair setting up the Student Showcase on the first floor of the Grandstand. As a valued employee, she gets free tickets and a parking pass, so I have always had the ability to go visit just about any time I wanted. One year, she and both our kids were working at the fair. The only way I got to see them was to go! So I went alot!! Over the years, I have seen just about everything at least two or three times, and have had lots of "fair" food. Every year it seems all pretty much the same! I have a big bag of kettle corn. I have a chocolate dip soft ice cream cone. I have a hot dog on a stick and lemonade. I have a dozen of those small, hot donuts that the old ladies make over in one of the sales pavilians. And, of course, I have a basket of those fresh potato "chips" with a bit of vineger and catsup. I do try to stay away from all the deep fried battered stuff. I swear, every very overweight person in San Diego County seems to go to the fair on the day I go. That seems to keep me from over-indulging!

The fair runs for about 3 weeks and usually ends on the 4th of July with a big grandstand extravaganza!! I usually try to pick my days I visit the fair based on the appeal of the evening concerts at the grandstand. The concerts are generally weighted towards the younger set, the country fans, and the Hispanic fans. The "younger" concerts always hurt my ears, and make me "vibrate". Country Western is not really "hot" with me, and Hispanic all sounds the same--in spanish!! Most of the concerts are free in the general "admission" seats. In the better boxes, and tables in the front part of the grandstand one can reserve seats for 12-20 bucks, and have waitress food and drink service, plus a much better view of the concert. In addition, with a reserved seat, one does not have to stand in line, rush up the escalator or stairs, and hustle to get the best seat available in the "stands" 1 1/2 hrs prior to the concert. One can just amble in anytime! What a luxury!

Since I usually was alone at these things (Nancy always works), I always was one of the "peons" in the general admission area, rushing in early to stake out a seat!I usually ended up soewhere under the balcony overhang and couldn't see the fireworks after the band concert. Then I would have to move or leave the grandstand.

This year I didn't see any concerts to my liking, and had no big urge to go to the fair just to hang around. I decided, however,I was not going to miss the Grandstand show on the 4th. It starts at 7:30 with a concert by the U. S. Navy Southwest Concert Band, then about 30 minutes of fireworks, then a pop concert by a "headliner". It is a BIG Sheeow!

But this year it was going to be different!! I was detgermined to go first class!! Soooo, the first day of the fair I bought a reserved ticket for the 4th extravaganza--cost $18 (not including fair admission since I was free)! My seat was front row, right in the middle of the stage!! Wow!! It was at a table with food and drink service. Where the elite meet to eat!!

On the 4th, the group that my wife works with has a pot luck buffet set up in the back room on the first floor of the grandstand--so I was all set. I had the best seat in the house at a table, as well as a source of food at the buffet!! All I could wish for beyond that, was that the waitress would go back to the buffet and load up a couple plates for me and deliver them to the table!! Fat chance! The waitresses work for the catering food service and were probably going to be ticked that I brought my own food!! Ah well, I could handle that!!

It was great to notice the long line outside the grandstand waiting for 6 pm to come around so they could rush in to grab the best FREE seat! It was great to cruise right into the front of the grandstand about 1/2 hour before the concert and be SHOWN to my FRONT ROW CENTER seat. It was great to go back to the buffet, fill up two paper plates with all kinds of picnic food, then go back to my "table" and eat leisurely while waiting for the concert to start. It felt great to turn around in my seat and look back at the thousands of people in the stands, ALL BEHIND ME!!

During the evening I stood for the National Anthem twice along with everyone else. I also stood when the Navy Band played Anchors Aweigh (I was Navy). I oohed and aaahed at the fireworks! The star of the concert after the fireworks was Mary Wilson of the Supremes. She was much better that I thought she would be-and had two very good backup "Supremes", and they sang all the great hits of 30 years ago!

It was $18 well spent!!

No comments: