Monday, June 07, 2004

Weekend update 6/7/04--Garage Saleing

Saturday morning I was on my own since "Garage Sale Bob", my saleing buddy was actually on a vacation weekend with his wife!!I know he hated to miss out on our Saturday morning excursion, but what are you going to do!!! Guess he has to spend a little time with her now and then!!

I really go just to have something to do for a couple hours when I get up early and when I go alone I get to listen to "Let's Talk Hookup!" a local fishing show Hosted by Pete and Marty. Marty is none other than Marty Milner, the actor from TV's Route 66 and Adam Twelve, and many, many movies. He must be in his mid 70's by now, and I know he "hooked" onto this show because he gets to go on great fishing trips all over the world on a regular basis--and as a host I would guess he gets to go free!!! What a wonderful way to retire!! I know he misses some Saturdays because he still goes to some RTE 66 conventions as a celebrity guest--and probably makes some dough signing RTE 66 memorabilia. I talked to him one year at the Fred Hall fishing show at the Del Mar Fairgrounds where he and Pete had a booth. They were selling t-shirts and stuff that said "Let's Talk Hookup!" What a great way to make a living, having a radio show on Sat and Sun mornings, and then going fishing!

But I digress!!

My list of desires included a Long Surf Board and a vacuum cleaner for my daughter Sara in Santa Cruz. A Keyboard instrument for My son Matt, and just about anything olde for my main squeeze.

One of the first garage sales had a vacuum which I carefully looked over. It wasn't an expensive model, but it had all the parts, and looked OK, although it was kind of dusty! I asked the seller if it worked!! Like he would tell me that it didn't??? But he sounded honest when he said it worked fine and they had just been using it to vacuum the patio!! That explained the red dust!!!

I am known as a tough barginer! A Lady once kicked me out of her garage sale for insulting her with an offer that she thought was too
ridiculous!! I figured that the vacuum cost about $69 new. My goal is to do about 10 cents to the $ compared to retail--so I asked him if he would take 5 bucks. He said sure and I gave him a $5 bill thinking I had got the best of him!! Then he said, "Let me give you a discount", and gave me a buck in change! So I think he got the best of me in that I offered him more than what he thought it was worth!!!
I really didn't know what to think about that!! It was bothersome. Was I losing my prospective!!

When I got home I cleaned up the vacuum, and actually tried it out on the living room rug. It worked fine!! It looked to be as good as the one we bought for ourselves at a garage sale for $10 a year ago. So maybe I did make a good deal and he was the kind of seller I like to deal with, one who just wanted to "move it".

I recently upgraded the radio in my old Mercedes to a pretty nice panasonic with a CD player, so I have been looking for CDs every week.
My top price is $1. I have bought some good ones for 50 cents-but a buck is ok. So I found a very good Mariah Carey Live concert CD for a buck. I also look for classic LPs since we are one of the few in the world who still have a turntable. Last week I found 2 classic Miles Davis albums, and a Modern Jazz Quartet for 50 cent per, this week I found a Miles Classic, Sketches of Spain, 2 Steely Dans, and a Joni Mitchell Concert album for 25 cents per. Not bad!!

Still looking for the longboard--which is going to cost big bucks, even at a garage sale, and the Keyboard, which I am probably going to have to get at Costco!!

No comments: